Saturday 15 March 2014

Flash Directories on Cisco Devices

So here's a little qwirk, some Cisco devices seem to save IOS images within directories and some save them straight the flash. By the IOS image file I'm talking specifically about the .bin file.

I found this out because generally the image files I deal with have all been saved directly to the flash so you can copy them with the copy flash: tftp: command, then you enter the IP address of the server and the file name and off it goes, but I tried this with a new switch I've purchased, a 2960-24TT-L and I kept getting this error message:
%Error reading flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5 (Is a directory)

After a bit of searching it is exactly as it describes, the IOS image file (.bin file) is in a directory with the same name. So the fix was instead of trying to copy a non-existant image file from the flash:
copy flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin tftp
= wrong

I had to copy the file from within the directory of the same name:
copy flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin tftp

Easy when you know how...


References:
Here's the link to a Cisco support site which I got my steer from, FYI:

No comments:

Post a Comment