Friday 25 July 2014

installing Windows XP in VMware ESXi

I'm relatively new to VMware, but it's on my list of things to look into / learn about, and as part of my little lab I'm building I've installed ESXi5.1 as the Hypervisor on my server. I've always used VMware Player and Workstation before and they are so easy to use but I wanted to use ESXi because it's a little more "real world".

Windows XP is one of my "go to" VMs, it's so quick and easy to install, I've only got trial versions of 7 and 8 and i'm just not familiar with Linux (although I'm trying... give me time) However XP and ESXi don't seem to get on initially.

It turns out XP, being the old OS that is is, does have the SCSI drivers needed, and ESXi chooses a SCSI hard drive by default.

There are two options here:
Install the 3rd party drivers in the XP host, here are the instructions for this:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1000863

Alternatively, you can just change the hard disk type to IDE and that works a treat too:

No comments:

Post a Comment