Wednesday 12 November 2014

vSphere client on Surface pro 3 / Windows 8.1 input issues

So here's an irritating issue... I have a Surface Pro 3, I really like it, however there are a few niggles and issues but on the whole it's great. (You generally get issues with new versions of windows anyway, anyone remember vista? and windows 7 wasn't perfect for a long time, although it's pretty damn stable now). 

One of these issues was that I couldn't use the VMware vSphere client to control virtual machines using the console on my SP3. The cursor wasn't in sync with the screen. I'd put the cursor in the middle of the screen and it would register further down and off to the right. This made it almost impossible to click anything. I got around this by creating a virtual machine and using RDP to connect to the virtual machine and then connecting that way but it's a bit of a mess.

So here's the actual solution, if you right click the vSphere client icon > Properties > Compatibility > then check the box which disables display scaling on high DPI.

This runs the application natively on the display, which makes everything very small because the screen resolution is fantastic, but I kinda like this, you get more real-estate. It messes up a few positions such as text boxes slightly screwy but at least it works!

I couldn't find any other pages which detail this issue so hopefully this'll help someone else with the same issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment